Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Road to IronMan: the beginning

Today was the official IronTeam kickoff with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training (TNT). Unfortunately I couldn't be there because I was at home tending to some remodeling. My wife went for me to hand them some papers and pick up some papers...

I'm pretty excited about the upcoming season. I've been quietly thinking about it since my DNF (Did Not Finish) at Full Vineman 2004 (the race report is at www.IronMel.com). I don't plan on not finishing this time.

The race I will be doing is IronMan USA (Lake Placid, NY) in July 2006. I've been thinking about it for a year. In that time I've lost about 35 lb., decreased my marathon time from 6:06 hours to 5:22 hours. I have also been taking a master's swim class. Haven't been biking much... the race number from Vineman are still on my bike. Is hockey a good replacement? I've been playing a lot of that.

Sadly, I will have to give up playing hockey for the duration of the IronTeam season. Training 6 days a week and then a hockey game? I think I can do it, but then there wouldn't be any balance in my life. I guess I just have to settle for watching Sharks games. GO SHARKS!

1 comment:

-g said...

Good luck. I'll keep an eye out for your training. I'll be working toward IMCdA 06.